January 23, 2011

SHOT SHOW REPORT - WRAP UP

Here, in no particular order, are a number of things I found at SHOT that tripped my neat-meter, but for one reason or another didn't get into my daily reports. As you'll see, not all of these are coyote hunting items.

This one's another try at something I've seen before; ammo using plastic cartridge cases. From left to right, there's a fired 308 Win and then an unfired 223, 308 and a 50 Browning. As you can see, the case heads are brass but the rest of the case is a white plastic. The claimed advantages are much lighter weight and cheaper cost; witht he latter being realized only once production reaches a certain scale. The company bringing this to market is PCP ammunition.


Colt seems to be making another attempt to get back into the commercial market. They certainly have had their problems in that regard. I guess the 100th anniversary of the 1911 pistol is as good a time as any to make that move. So, perhaps in honor of that event, they have announced the introduction of a double action 1911 design. To the best of my knowledge, the most successful attempt at this has been the Para-Ordnance LDA. A design well known for its light double action pull. I've shot both guns and the Colt's pull seems heavier than the LDA but has a second strike capability which the LDA doesn't. Like the LDA it is double-action only. Personally I like the concept of both guns, but then I'm a double-action revolver shooter from waaaaaay back, so that type of trigger actions is natural to me. I hope this works out for Colt, here's what it looks like:


Now here's a jaw dropper for you. This is a Toyota Tundra with a sportsman's conversion that must be seen to be believed. Here's a summary of what's been done and below a couple of photos of the truck itself. There's not much I can add that the photo's don't describe better.





































By the time the show was over, some trends were visible. One that I liked was the growing prevalence of rifles with interchangeable calibers and barrels. One of the oldest such examples is the Thompson Center Contender, but they don't have sole dominace of that market any more. We have examples like the Rossi Wizard which hits the lower price point, the Traditions Apex which hits the middle and the Blaser and Desert Arms at the top end. And there are more. Interesting...


Rossi Wizard

CVA Apex

Desert Tactical Arms, PSR


That's it, SHOT is over and we'll get back to the real world now.
























No comments:

Post a Comment